Tips for Taking Care of Your Mattress
San Francisco, Calif., August 24, 2012 – Often overlooked, taking care of your mattress and box spring will help to ensure lasting comfort and an optimal return on your mattress investment.
Here are several easy-to-follow tips for mattress care.
1. Flip and Rotate: This is no old wives tale. It’s important that a mattress be flipped and rotated at regular intervals throughout the year. McRoskey Mattress Company recommends flipping a mattress in the winter and summer (head end to foot end) and rotating it in spring and fall. A box spring requires once-a-year rotation. As a unique customer service, McRoskey sends a friendly reminder when it's time to flip or rotate a mattress.
2. Protect Your Mattress: Use mattress protector pads to keep your mattress clean, dry and free from stains. Introducing any liquid into the mattress can mat the filling materials inside, causing a depression, and possibly rusting the springs. Use either an all-cotton mattress protector pad alone or in combination with a waterproof mattress protector for maximum protection.
3. Cleaning Spills and Stains. As noted, the first defense against spills (and stains) is to use a mattress protector pad. If you didn’t use a mattress protector pad follow these steps to clean a spill.
For liquid spills that soak into a mattress or box spring, use towels to blot. Apply gentle pressure to absorb the liquid. Do not press the liquid into the mattress.
Cleaning Stains: Use a mild soap with damp cloth, cold water solution or a spray carpet cleaner.
Let the mattress or box spring dry completely before dressing the bed.
4. Use Proper Support: Use a bedframe with rigid center support that supports the head, foot, sides and center of the mattress and box spring. If using bed slats with a mattress and box spring, use at least three rigid, no-sag slats.
5. Stay Ahead of Mildew: Be sure your mattress and box spring have good air circulation around and under the bed. Air the mattress and brush or vacuum the top when possible.
Family owned and operated, the McRoskey Mattress Company has been handcrafting mattresses and box springs in San Francisco, California since 1899. McRoskey mattresses are available in standard and custom sizes. McRoskey has showrooms in San Francisco and Palo Alto. http://www.McRoskey.com or Facebook or Twitter: @McRoskey.